XXXVI. Parish Register of Aberford, 1510-1812; transcribed and ed. by G. D. Lumb; 1937
Aberford is an interesting village and is situated six miles from Tadcaster on the Great North Road, which may account for
many strangers appearing in the registers. It was noted for tackle pin making for wool combing and flax dressing and is
described in “Drunken Barnabie’s Journal,” by Richard Brathwait, A.M., in his tour through Yorkshire c 1650 as follows :—‘‘Thence to Sherburn dearly loved, and for pinners well approved, Cherry tenth the pastor aymeth, more than th’ souls which he reclaimeth. In. an equi-page consorting are their manners and their fortune.”
“Thence to Aberford whose beginning came from buying drink with pinning.: Poor they are and very needy, Yet of
liquor too too greedy ; Have they never so much plenty, Belly makes their purses empty. *At such time as we sojourn’d in
this poor village, it chanced that a certain Pinner, and one of the choicest of all his flocke, being choked with pin-dust dyed,
to whose memory wee find this epitaph indorsed. O cruell Death !
To rob this man of breath, Who whilst he liv’d in scraping of a pin, Made better dust than thou hast made of him.”
Aberford is a market town in the parishes of Aberford and Sherburn and divided by the main street and is singularly situated
with regard to the townships: the West side of the town from the Cock beck (south end) is Aberford-cum-Parlington, the East
side. of the same end is Lotherton-cum-Aberford, and all North of the beck is Aberford alone.—Dugdale’s Dictionary of Yorkshire, 1822. The Register was copied about thirty years ago with the consent of the Vicar, the Rev. A. Barnes-Lawrence, and now with the approval of the present Vicar, the Rev. G. A. Vivian Flower.