Leeds in Pictures
Leeds Modern and Lawnswood
Leeds Modern School had originally been founded as a boys’ school by the Mechanics’ Institute in 1845. In 1854 the Ladies’ Educational Institution was opened in the basement of the Mechanic’s Institute. It changed its name to Leeds Girls’ Modern School in 1868. Both boys’ and girls’ schools moved to a new site in 1932. The boy’s building, is on the right and the girls’ school, now renamed Lawnswod High School, on the left. A swimming bath separated them.