Leeds in Pictures
Leeds General Infirmary c. 1800
The original Leeds General Infirmary opened on Infirmary Street in 1771. The two storey building was extended with a third floor in 1792 and by then it could cater for 108 patients. When the hospital transferred to the new building on Great George Street, Leeds Public Libraries opened the Reference Library here in 1871 and the Central Library in 1872.