Leeds Parish Church Registers, Third and Fourth Books, 1612-1639
ed. by G. D. Lumb
|PREFACE TABLE OF CONTENTS ERRATA PAGE||vii.,viii|
|THIRD BOOK||BAPTISMS, 1612-1619||1|
|FOURTH BOOK||BAPTISMS, 1619-1639||91|
The present Volume gives all the entries in the third and fourth Books of the Leeds Parish Church Registers. The leaves of the third Book measure 11¾ x 7½ inches, and are of parchment, and the leaves of the fourth Book measure 14½ x 9 inches, and are also of parchment.
The Registers in the third Book, and in the fourth Book to June, 1629, are in one handwriting, except from October, 1617, to March, 1620-21, and from October, 1622, to January, 1624-5, and are often both hastily and carelessly written. A few entries have been written by Vicar Alexander Cook.
The scribe was, doubtless, Richard Fletcher, the Parish Clerk, whose burial is entered for the 21st June, 1629. The succeeding Registers are neatly written in a small handwriting, and the scribe was presumably Mr. Edward Smith, who was the next Clerk (see p. 319).
In transcribing the entries, the month and year have been placed in the margin, repetitions of surnames have been omitted, and the baptismal entries have been shortened, as shown on pp. 1 and 91.
The Baptisms in the fourth Book were copied by Messrs. Samuel Rusby, Wm. Shackleton, S. Denison, S. Margerison, C. W. Thonger, the Editor, and another. The Editor has copied the third Book, and jointly with Mr. Rusby, the Marriages and Burials in the fourth Book.
The Society is much indebted to Mr. Rusby for the assistance he has given in transcribing the Registers, as without his help it is doubtful whether the Burials in the fourth Book would have been now in print; and also to the Rev. E. Cookson, M.A., of Ipswich, who has again kindly undertaken the arduous task of preparing an Index.
The printed copy has been carefully compared with the Registers.
The Editor has to thank the Rev. C. B.Norcliffe.M.A., for the valuable Notes which he has added, and for suggestions respecting the transcript.
The thanks of the Society are due to the late Vicar, the Rev. Dr. Talbot, now Lord Bishop of Rochester, for permission to publish the Registers, and for the facilities for transcription which have been most courteously rendered by Mr. James Warren, the Registrar.
LEEDS, Dec., 1895.