Adel Parish Church Registers, 1606-1812, and Monumental
ed. by G. D. Lumb
|ERRATA AND ADDENDA||vi.|
|FIRST BOOK||BAPTISMS, 1606-1655||1|
|MISCELLANEOUS NOTES, 1648-1661||40|
|SECOND BOOK||BAPTISMS, 1655-1679||43|
|THIRD BOOK||BAPTISMS, 1680-1782||67|
|FOURTH BOOK||MARRIAGES, 1754-1812||155|
|FIFTH BOOK||BAPTISMS. 1783-1812||172|
|APPENDIX||MR. KIRKE'S PREFACE||202|
|ADEL CHURCH (EXTERIOR)||frontispiece|
|DOORWAY||to face page 1|
THE present Volume gives the entries contained in the earliest Five Books of the REGISTERS of ADEL CHURCH, and covers a period extending from the year 1606 to the year 1812.
The First and Second Books, and the transcript of them by Mr. Thomas Kirke, of Cookridge (a friend of Thoresby), are bound in one volume. The First Book contains 31 parchment leaves, measuring 11¼ by 5½ inches, and it will be noticed that some leaves are missing. The Second Book contains 15 parchment leaves, 12¼ by 7 inches, and one-third of another one, and chasms have been filled by Mr. Kirke from Oglethorp's pocket-book (see p. 50). The entries in the Third Book are written on 66 parchment leaves (folio size). The Fourth Book (folio) contains 48 parchment and three paper leaves, and also a few paper leaves with the marriage forms not filled in. And the Fifth Book (folio) has 34 parchment leaves on which entries have been made, and also a number of spare leaves at the end, on some of which various memoranda connected with the parish have been written.
Superfluous words, such as " baptized," have been omitted in the first and second Books, and the entries in the fourth Book have been abstracted, but the entries in the third and fifth Books are printed as they appear in the original.
The Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials of each Book are printed separately, but in the original the baptisms are generally entered on the page to the left, and the burials and marriages on the opposite page; but often in the earlier Books they are mixed up indiscriminately.
In the first and second Books the writing is occasionally ex-ceedingly difficult to decipher, and many entries in the third Book have been written by illiterate parish clerks. Nearly the whole of the fourth and fifth Books is in the handwriting of the Rev. Henry Nicholson, curate and rector.
The following explanation of the abbreviations which occur in the Registers may be found useful:—
b for "her," as Robt for Robert.
p for "per," as Cowp for Cowper.
9 for " er," as Pe? for Peter.
— for "m" or "n" omitted, as Ada for Adam, so for son.
for some letters omitted. Jo. for John. X| ofer for Christopher.
Various memoranda, and copies of the tombstones contemporary with the Registers, appear in the Appendix.
Descriptions of the church and parish of Adel have been written at different times by Thoresby, Whitaker, and Lewthwaite, and in the first volume of The Churches of Yorkshire, 1845; some of which works contain excellent views of the church.
The thanks of the Society are due to the rector, the Rev. Charles H. Owen, M.A., for permission to publish the Registers, and the Editor desires to acknowledge the uniform courtesy and kindness he has received from Mr. Owen, and the facilities given for transcription.
The Editor desires also to express his appreciation of the interest which has been taken in the work by the Rev. Charles Best Norcliffe, M.A., of Langton Hall, who has not only added many valuable notes to the Registers from his large genealogical collections, but has made several useful suggestions respecting the transcript.
The thanks of the Society are likewise due to Mr. John Kirk, of Headingley, for the plate of the etching giving a view of the church as it existed from 1843 to 1879, and also to Mr. Herbert Denison, of Leeds, for preparing a photogravure of the doorway; and to Mr. James Midgley, of Burley Grove, for defraying the cost of printing the views.
The Editor has carefully compared the printed copy with the Registers, and has endeavoured to make the transcript a correct one, and the index reliable.
G. D. L. LEEDS, Jan. 17th, 1895.