Leeds in Pictures
Prospects of Leeds
William Lodge’s Prospect of 1684-9
William Lodge’s Prospect of 1684-9. This was drawn from Holbeck on the south side of the town with the tower of the Parish Church on the right and that of St. John’s on the left. The cloth market was still held on the bridge until 1684. The “Brigg End Shots” where a special offer of ale and food which could be purchased in local taverns at low prices. The Brig End Schot was explained by Ralph Thoresby; ‘a clothier may, together with his Pot of Ale, have a Noggin of O’Porrage and a Trencher of Boil’d or Roast-Meat for twopence.’
Francis Place’s Prospect of 1715
Francis Place’s Prospect of 1715. This was drawn from the east side of the town and Thoresby records going with Place to draw the prospect. The Parish Church is in the centre with St John’s in the background. On the left hand side of the river you can see a lock of the recently opened Aire and Calder Navigation.
Samuel’s Buck’s East Prospect of Leedes from Chaveler Hill
Samuel Buck’s view of Leeds from the east, published in 1720, shows himself in the foreground. We have enhanced the numbers on the map to give them greater clarity.
1 - Holbeck; 2 - Farnley Wood; 3 - Armley Hall; 4 - The Church Ings; 5 - The River Air
6 - The Bridge; 7 - Armley Moor; 8 - The Old Church of St Peter’s;
9 - William Cooksons Esq; 10 -John Atkinsons; 11 - The Independent Meeting House;
12 - The White Cloth Hall; 13 - The Vicarage; 14 - The Museum of Ralph Thoresby Esq;
15 - The Red Hall; 16 - The New Chrch of St Johns; 17 - The Charity School;
18 - Robt. Dennisons Esq; 19 - March Lane; 20 - Chaveler Hill
A detailed account of the prospect written by Professor Maurice Beresford can be found in the Centenary Edition of the Thoresby Society Publications, LXIV Leeds in the Seventeenth and Early Eighteenth Centuries (Leeds, 2008).
South East Prospect of Leeds by Buck published in 1745
This fine South East Prospect of Leeds in the County of York was also by Buck and was published in 1745. Note the tall spire of Holy Trinity church.