Leeds in Pictures
Old Parish Church
A church existed on this site pre-Domesdy Book and several buildings followed. This one, built during the reign of Edward III, catered for up to 3,000 worshippers. Leland described it as a ‘Paroche Churche reasonably well buildid’ and John Wesley preached to 1,100 people here. Dr Walter Farquhar Hook decided to replace it following his arrival in 1837 and the new building was consecrated in 1841.