Leeds in Pictures
Coloured Cloth Hall Yard
The Coloured Cloth Hall was built approximately to the east end of where City Square now stands for the sale of dyed cloth. It opened in 1758. Its yard, seen here, was used to house political meetings of up 20,000 and was the scene of the infamous Battle of the Standard during the 1832 general election. Note the steps on the right from where speeches were delivered.