A Sketchbook of Old Leeds
19th Century Briggate
Briggate, one of the principal shopping streets in the city was first developed in 1207 when Maurice Paynel issued a charter in order to develop a new Leeds as opposed to the old vill on Kirkgate. In the background is the tower of Trinity Church. Robert Chantrell was called to design this when the original wooden spire was blown down in a hurricane in January 1837.